Paleochora to Elafonisi Drive
Time; 1 1/2 hours
Distance; 50 kms
A lovely scenic drive through the South West of Crete.
We advise you take the road inland and then west as this is in good condition for driving.
The coast road takes twice the time and is not paved .BEST DONE BY FOOT NOT CAR.
When you arrive you will see one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe.
Coral in the sand makes the water colour surreal.
Try and leave early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid crowds in high season.
Once there, cross over to the island by foot through the water – here there will be less people.
How to get there:
- Take the road to Hania.
- After a short while (15-20 minutes) you will reach a village called Plemenania. Here you will see a sign indicating Elafonisi .Follow the direction by turning left.
- Follow the windy road until you see a junction .Go in the direction of the village Strovles. As you proceed you will cross a bridge, continue on to the village of Elos – a beautiful village and valley of Chestnut and Olive trees.
- Then head for the villages Louhi followed by Kefali .Look for the sign in Greek for Elafonisi – EΛΑΦΟΝΗΣΙ .It is a sharp turn to the left
- Pass the villages Vathi and Plokomaniana
- As you continue the sea will come into view. If you want to see the Monastery Chrissoskalitissa then you will need to follow the turn off where indicated before the Elafonisi village.
- The beach has a huge car park. You need to walk a short distance to enjoy its beauty.
- To return another way retrace your way back through all the villages until Strovles. From here take the road to Voutas and follow signs back to Paleochora .